Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Recycled t-shirt scarf

DIY...RECYCLED T-SHIRT SCARF

Here's what I have for you today...it's a scarf that is made out of any ol' tshirt you have laying around...it's better than making a scrap rag...

Here's what it looks like hanging on my super cool wall hanging I got from the Wolf Creek Mini-Mall...
First, for your SUPPLIES...super easy...a tshirt (or two), a rotary cutter (or you can use scissors...the cutter is just easier), and a mat for the cutter (if you use it).

Here we go...first take the cutter and slice right off the bottom edge (you know the one with the seams). You can either use it for something later or throw it away...it's NOT part of the long part of the scarf itself.

Take the cutter and cut strips of the tshirt...my strips are about 1/2 to 1/4 and they don't have to be exactly uniform. Keep them circular though, meaning don't cut at the seams on the side. You are going to cut through the two layers of the tshirt...Continue cutting all the way to the armpits.

After you have cut all your strips, gather them all up in your hand...you can do this in groups or as a whole...then grab the other end of the loop in your other hand and pull them as far as they'll go (caution...don't pull too hard as you might bust the seam). Basically what happens is they stretch and curl up on themselves so that your strips are almost circular themselves. Separate them as necessary so that they are stuck together.

This is what it looks like after it's stretched out (this is just a small section though).

Gather all of your strips up together and if you have a seamed shirt, match all the seams of one side up (that way you can cover them)...(Note...if you have a seamless shirt, this actually works better and you can just gather together at any point).

'Member that bottom seam?? Grab it and wrap it around this section...If you threw it away (like I did...lol I forgot)...grab a sleeve, cut a strip and cut it at the seam so it's a strip. Basically you are going to cover that seam and make it where all your strips hang together...at the end, you can do some super cool sewing if you are so inclined or you can just tie a knot (which is what I did)...you could probably use fabric glue if you wanted too...whatever works.

Here it is all layed out (and curled so you could see the whole thing)...You can do anything you want really...I've seen some where the person cut the seam and braided it and then recircled it...The possibilities are endless...You can also use two colors of tshirts and have a multi-colored scarf...




That's it...SUPER EASY! Here's my pink scarf again...(Ignore the tiara...I happened to win Valentine Sweetheart at work the day I wore it so I still had it on my head lol...plus I LOVE crowns! :) )


Hope you have a super day...xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is off the chain, I have to step up my skills!!!

    ReplyDelete