Wednesday, April 27, 2011





It never gets easier...


So, if you've been following or just passing through you know I got a new job. For over 2 1/2 years I worked at the nursing home. Truthfully, some of those people still have my heart.


Of course you love them all, I mean God tells you to right? But there are those that are more special to you. This morning I found out we lost one of those special ones.


There was a previous one that died that really broke our hearts and I had someone say to me, well it's a nursing home; you have to expect they are going to go...like we were dumb for being touched by their passing. Yes, we know that they are going to die, but when you work with a person, helping them with some of their most intimate requirements and listening to their problems and stories, they leave a hole in your life when they go. I think it's only human to mourn their passing. If you question our grief, then you don't understand. After all, for some of us, these people are closer than grandparents.


Anyway...this woman lit up the entire nursing home with her sparkling personality (and sometimes her sparkly red shirt...man I'll miss that shirt...no one could pull it off but her...). She was a little wild at times, in her conversation and her driving skills (she had a motorized wheelchair), but she had a heart of gold.


She was always glad to see you in the morning and stopped to talk you all throughout the day and to almost everyone else. She was one of those people who could warm up almost anyone. She could even make the most contankerous of residents smile. She sure made us laugh a lot...and I am honored to have called her a friend.


Everyone at the nursing home is touched by her passing in some way. Several people have said there's no reason to go to work anymore. Of course there is...there are others who need us and who light up our lives, but it'll be a lot dimmer around there.



The place won't be anywhere near the same without you, buddy. You always wanted to go
out dancing and to walk around again...I bet now you are. Who knows what other mischief you are getting into up there in Heaven, but I know you are there...walking around and having the best time anyone ever had...I'll miss ya...we all will...but I'm glad you're home...


xoxoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment