Wednesday, April 17, 2013

JUST DANCE....

In my line of work...or at least on my floor...codes are called a lot.  Sometimes it's just a Rapid Response Code, which means that something doesn't look good and it gets all the big dogs into the yard before the poo really hits the fan.  Sometimes it is or becomes Code Blue...where the person turns that color and CPR commences and the poo is flinging.  Some people thrive on code situation...me not so much.  I'd rather everybody be happy (or as close to happy as they are capable of being) and sick but getting better.  I like those patients. 

There's other codes we don't like too.  Code Yellow...that's disaster code.  Someone sent out information about Code Yellow along with some weather forecasts and some people freaked out a little.  Being from the Oklahoma Panhandle, I freaked out about tornadoes for years with very few actually coming to fruition.  Heck if you panicked every time a tornado watch was called in Guymon, you might as well take up residence in your basement...I think I'm over it now.

Code Brown...that's an unofficial code that never gets called over the loudspeaker, but ask anyone in healthcare and they probably know what a code brown is.  Ask any mother and she probably knows what a code brown is too but maybe not that it's a code brown.  Heck, I had a code brown in my living room carpet today when someone's pull up did not contain all its goodness.  Ya, you know what it is now.  (PS there was a lot of carpet cleaner involved in that one.)

I read something today though about other codes.  Code Lavender intrigued me.  Some hospitals are having a code lavender team, like an RRT team, to minister to the soul and psyche when the problem arises.  Um, I can see where that would be very beneficial.  It seems like at least half of the people could benefit from that and probably more.  If a person's soul is ministered to while their body is healing, then it's a benefit all around.  I've seen people die just because they wanted to (and not through suicide really)...or more closely because they didn't want to live anymore.  Their soul died and their body followed suit.  The article said 40% on Code Lavenders are called on staff.  I could definitely use some soul time at work sometimes.  I know other people could as well.  Basically the team works with things like whole body healing, meditation, Reiki, psychiatry...the works.  It sounded like a good idea.


In the same magazine I saw something about a store called "Code Happy."  While I haven't checked that out yet, but I will, it got me thinking.  Why don't we call Code Happy sometimes??  We call codes when stuff is bad, but why not honor the good by calling it.  Everybody would just stop and celebrate as a Code Happy is called and "Just Dance" for a minute.  We used to have some random Code Happy moments at the nursing home.  My friend Britney and I had unofficial Code Happy sometimes changing wound dressings where we'd been known on occasion to dance and sing...(mostly when taking care of my granny who thought we were funny and ridiculous all at the same time.)  But, we had fun.  The task we had to do...not fun...not fun at all...not for us or the patient.  But it became fun when we started rocking out and enjoying life.  We got laughs, and we did a lot of laughing.


 
It kind of goes back to a toddler way of life.  If you've ever been around a toddler very long you know what I mean.  They can go from the biggest excitement they have ever known to the biggest tragedy ever and back in a few seconds.  It's scary...bipolar scary.  For example in the car today, there was singing...loud singing and a very happy conversation with a doll.  Then, the doll got dropped, hit the floor board, and you would have thought that a real human child flew out the window and was smashed on the pavement.  I picked it up, gave it back unscathed, and the happiness recommenced. 

Maybe we need to recapture some of that.  Not the scary mood changes, but the ability to bounce back.  To call a Code Happy and move on.  Celebrate life for what it is.  Don't get bogged down in the negatives.  I know I do it sometimes.  There's so much tragedy everywhere...OKC, Boston, New York, the Middle East...everywhere.  We need to remember that this world is not our home...and that alone is a reason for a Code Happy.  We're just a passin' through and someday we'll make it out on the other side.  But for now, enjoy what there is to enjoy. 

There's thunder right now here...we're under a tornado watch (hey and a severe thunderstorm watch for good measure)...the power has gone out and come back.  Code Yellow is knocking on the doorstep, but for now let's just enjoy the sound of thunder...cause I kind of like it.  I'm calling a Code Happy 'cause it's raining. 

Tomorrow as you go about your day, enjoy the small stuff.  Appreciate that the sun came up (or the clouds depending on where you are).  Some of you might appreciate the snow.  Appreciate the fact that you have somewhere to go...or don't have anywhere to go.  Appreciate the fact that you are not homeless and outside when the weather is rough.  Appreciate the fact that if you only have $2 to your name at least you aren't in the negative.  There's always something to appreciate.  Call a Code tomorrow...Call a Code Happy. 

I found this picture on my computer just now and it looks Code Happy to me.  I don't know where it came from but it made me laugh, so I included it.

No comments:

Post a Comment